Rebooting Nucleus

Leo

Administrator

The purpose of the Nucleus reboot project is to make a new CMS loosely based on Nucleus.

Some key points I would like to build on are:

• Follow up to date best-practice for PHP programming.
  • Utilize new functionality from the latest PHP versions.
  • Use unit testing.

To do this in the existing Nucleus code base would require a lot of work which would include rewriting most of the code. The end result will also break a lot of backward compatibility. Because of this I reckon that it will be less work and the end result will be better if the development is started from scratch. The rebooted Nucleus will not be backward compatible, but the goal would be to retain the Nucleus structure of members, blogs, items, comments, skins and templates.

This is a long term project, and is only at the idea stage at the moment. Any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

rif

I would like to put in a plug for integrating multiple categories and subcategories into the core. (In a format compatible with metaweblog or other APIs, so that existing blog posting clients can be used)

Other wishlist ideas would include:

- access/security/permission levels (posts or categories or blogs viewable, editable or accessible only to certain levels, groups, or passworded logins)
- some kind of tag for posting code. ie. preventing Nucleus from parsing the code and forcing it to show the code only as plain text.
- built-in comment moderation and blacklist options
- expanded built-in import/export/backup options (eg. export content to rtf, html, pdf, odt or xml)
- integration with or allowance for easy integration with photo sliders (not sure if there's a plugin for that already)

Thank you for keeping Nucleus alive!

Leo

Administrator

Thanks for the feedback, but I haven't got around to start my reboot project yet. Too busy with other things. smile

When it comes to comment moderation I can recommend my LMCommentModerator plugin. It's spam handling has made it possible for me to run this site with open commenting on the main site without any manual handling of spam.

rif

Thanks, I'll check out your comment plugin! I was using one of the old ones and it worked fine for me, but I was just thinking in terms of what might be better included in the core script rather than as a plugin. IMHO certain functions are so core they really ought to just be part of the main script (like multi/sub cats), but that is just MHO and since I'm no coder my HO is worth about 0.1 cents smile

After frustrating and unsatisfying experiments with WP and some other scripts, I just keep coming back to Nucleus. I've yet to find a script that suits me better, even after all these years. So regardless of whenever you do the reboot project, or even if you're too busy, I'm still grateful that there's still at least a place to go for help and answers and that some people are still willing to help with Nucleus. Especially now that they've frozen the old forum. Thank you for taking the time to set up this board and answer our questions, not to mention fixing up the plugins and script!